Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 2: Rain in Rabat


           Well, there’s a dog that lives next door with a penchant for barking all through the night. Nevertheless, this did not keep me from sleeping like a rock. The weather has been nice during the day, and chilly enough at night to need to use the thick blankets they gave us. I’m in a room with three other girls and am on the top bunk. I was secretly really excited to have this bunk because I’d never slept on a top bunk before. Haha.
            So this morning, I decided to be ambitious and go for a run before breakfast. The weather was perfect, cool and cloudy. But just as I turned around at the halfway mark, it began to pour. Let’s just say the run back was significantly faster than the first and I was soaking wet by the time I got to Home Base. Whatevs. It was quite the experience and now I know that the morning is the best time as there are significantly fewer people outside.

            I returned in plenty of time for breakfast, which went from 7:30 to 9:30, and then we began orientation. We got to know Khadija, Mohammed, Abdellah, Aicha, and Fatiha better. They’re all awesome. Mohammed, Khadija, and Abdellah were actually in the Peace Corps before they started to work for CCS, which just speaks to their awesomeness. We learned more about house rules, placement expectations, etc, etc. And then we had an Arabic lesson! Khadija taught us a bunch of different useful phrases. I’ve found that French is plenty useful, but it’s nice to know how to ask for the bathroom just in case.
Khadija
Mohammed
Abdellah


            Lunch was dee-lish, as usual. Moroccan food has so many unique spices and uses such a variety of vegetables that I’m having no problem finding things to eat at mealtime. The cook, Aicha, cooks literally ALL day. After breakfast, she immediately starts lunch; after lunch, she starts the pastry for teatime; and after that, she starts dinner. She’s one of the few of the staff that actually lives in the house with us. EVERYTHING is homemade, and the bread is amazing. Speaking of bread, we learned today that in Morocco, bread and other things made from flour is thought of as sacred and even scraps are not thrown away. Instead, it’s placed in a bag next to the trash where it is made into something else or sold. The tea here is awesome; it’s minty and suuuuper sweet. I think I need to drink a smaller cup though, because the amount of sugar has been giving me headaches.
The spread
Beans, bread, eggplant, and some veggies

            Onwards and upwards! After lunch we decided to go to the Medina which is the traditional market in Morocco. I have been designated the cab driver translator and always sit in the front seat (the cabs only fit two in the back, they’re Fiats). Funny note: when the cab driver explained that to me yesterday, I said C’est bizarre and he laughed out loud. We’re best friends. Anywhoooo, it takes three cabs to get eight of us anywhere, and our silly signals from cab to cab somehow got confused. While Rachel and Anthony pointed at something in front of them trying to say, “Follow that cab!” we all thought they were pointing to the entrance, so I asked to get out there.
Well, long story short, that was not the Medina and right when we exited the cab there was another freak rainstorm. It only lasted a minute or two and we did end up at a market that was pretty cool. After two other cabs, we decided to walk down to the water and just head back to Home Base. The water was absolutely beautiful, blue and bright. We headed back and on the radio in the cab, we heard Boyfriend by J. Biebs and a song by Katy Perry. Oh, America, you’re everywhere. 



Back at the base, we had tea and chatted for an hour or so. I think the jet lag finally caught up to us though, as we were all exhausted leading up to dinner. We ate another lovely Moroccan meal and then played an intense game of Catch Phrase. We lost 2 games to 1, booo. But now I think it is time for bed, as I need to leave for my placement at 8:00 tomorrow morning. I’m psyched to be hopefully be able to communicate with the nurses at the orphanage, we shall see what tomorrow brings.


B’slama and bonne nuit!

-Allie

P.s. Happy birthday, Sam!

P.p.s. I found the turtle, Sonali!



6 comments:

  1. Love the soaking wet picture! The next 10 days look beautiful there!
    Absolutely love here today!
    Til you next post. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job remembering everyone's name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading this Allie. And the peace corps comment reminded me that I had wanted to go into the peace corps at one point in high school. Isn't one of the Murray girls in the peace corps?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allie! Love your blog, I am boarding the plane to Boston right now. Have lots of fun,
    All the way from El Paso,
    DS

    ReplyDelete